Styles are becoming increasingly retro while materials are more and more technological: this is the mix characterizing the ski apparel trends for the coming season. 2019 confirms the fashion world’s fascination for technical fabrics, which can be defined as such not only for their elevated performance but also for their high creative potential.
This has been further endorsed by trade events, such as the latest edition of Première Vision, held in Paris from 19th to 21st September, which witnessed the great success of a new segment called, would you believe, “Sport & Tech”; the media have also underlined this important trend, starting from Vogue Magazine, which has evidenced the increasingly intense mingling between fashion and skiing, with a special focus on the unexpected appearance on the most prestigious runways (from Calvin Klein to Gucci) of the balaclava, obviously in an updated and reinterpreted version.
Beyond the more extreme proposals, the leitmotivs of the coming season’s skiing fashion are well defined and comprise:
- a return to the 70’s style, from hooded parka coats to huge goggles
- a preference for mono colour outfits, particularly black, white and grey
- a massive use of high-tech fabrics, offering less bulk and great warmth
- the use of high-performing wool fabrics (“smartwool”), which ensure warmth, insulation and comfort
- an ever-greater interest for eco-friendly fabrics, both in terms of materials and manufacturing techniques.